LIFELINE IT LAUNCHES THE TERMINATED TECH PODCASTS
Published: 20 July 2022
Watch the video preview of the ‘Terminated Tech’ podcast episodes
2022 is the year that Lifeline IT celebrates its 20th anniversary and to mark this significant milestone, we’ve created a new series of podcasts looking back at the IT and tech items that we all used regularly but are now obsolete from daily life.
In a series of five short ‘Terminated Tech’ episodes, Daniel and Adam cover everything from old-school mobiles, Pagers and Blackberries, through to digital cameras, iPods, CD players, landlines and faxes.
And in the final episode of the series, we take a look into the future at which tech gadgets we think will have fallen out of fashion in 10 years’ time. And in the final episode of the series, we take a look into the future at which tech gadgets we think will have fallen out of fashion in 10 years’ time.
The podcasts are based on Lifeline IT’s recent research into consumer tech behaviour over the past 20 years. We polled 1000 people to find out how things have changed and discovered:
- IT/tech devices that people regularly used 20 years ago but rarely/never use now include: land line telephone (65%), fax machine and modem (48%), Ceefax/Teletext (47%), digital camera (36%)
- 20 years ago, a third of people (33%) didn’t own a mobile phone. Yet today nearly half (41%) said it was the one tech item they could not live without
- Other tech and IT that people can’t live without today include high speed wireless internet (26%), iPad/tablet (9%), messaging apps such as WhatsApp (6%) and social media (4%)
- 20 years ago, only 2 out of 10 people regularly used email – now 96% use it virtually every day
- 80% feel that tech items have become too disposable
- Looking to the future, people thought the following items would no longer exist in 5-10 years: DVD players (68%), desktop computers (38%), satellite-based TV (28%), Sat-Nav that you plug into your car (52%), offices (14%), cars driven by humans (12%).
We hope you enjoy listening and we’d love to hear your comments and feedback!
on Apple Podcasts
REPORT AN INCIDENT
To access the Lifeline IT support portal and log an incident, please click the button below or phone us on 020 8238 7838.
Unit 8 Stirling Industrial Centre, Stirling Way, Borehamwood, Hertfordshire, WD6 2BT